Seafood products: quality approach and local development
- Seafood products
- Shellfish farming
- Public decision-makers
Mobilized professionals : • Challenges explained by the elected representatives (Jean Prou – County Concillor and Françoise de Roffignac (pending confirmation) – County Council Vice-President)
• Crossed visions of professionals working in the marine production field and involved in the regional dynamics :
o Jean-Sébastien BRUANT – General Director - Ferme Marine Du Soleil - Aquaculture
o Benoit DURIVAUD – Manager of Moules DURIVAUD – Mussel Farming
o Fishing and seafood processing - pending confirmation.
o Philippe JUMEL – Director of QUALYSE – Analysis laboratory
Speaker : Bruno LE FUR / Technical advisor on aquatic products - CRITT agro-alimentaire La Rochelle
Target : Professionals from the aquatic industry (Fishing, aquaculture, processing, trade, retail, etc.) • Public decision-makers • Stakeholders working in water and coastal management
Marine and aquaculture products from Charente-Maritime are not listed in the regional brand “+ de 17 dans nos assiettes”.
Some of the marine and aquaculture products are not produced locally, which complicates this listing.
How can we optimise the quality of marine products in the region?
- The density of aquaculture productions can lead to vulnerabilities
- The quality of coastal waters represents a health risk
- Traceability can be improved
- Encourage professionals in the aquatic sector to think about optimising the quality of local products
- Raise the awareness among all stakeholders of the global management of water and the coastline and reinforce good practices
- Identify the levers that makes local products more valuable
- Promote local fisheries and aquaculture products to consumers in terms of seasonality, production methods, origin and traceability.
- Develop official quality labels (Label rouge/IGP /AOP), work on the legibility and notoriety of such labels among consumers and promote local products (e.g. “+de 17 dans nos assiettes” brand).
Issues raised during the workshop
This workshop aims to answer several questions:
- What is the current state of play for the production in the Charente-Maritime region (volumes, prices, quality, ranges, market position, and distribution of added value)?
- How can we improve the integration of aquaculture into the coastal environment (nutritional richness of the aquatic environment, maintenance of the maritime domain, water quality, etc.)?
- How can local productions and the geographical origin can be better identified when launching seafood and aquaculture products on the market (“+ de 17 dans nos assiettes” brand)?
- Raise the awareness among the local aquatic industries of good practices in terms of water management and maintenance of the coastal environment
- Encourage producers to adopt a “quality” approach and start thinking about labelling products of marine origin
- Promote local production via territorial brands: example of “+ de 17 dans nos assiettes”,